HODGE FOUNDRY’s origins go back to 1876, when E.W. Hodge, decided to start his own foundry in the town of Greenville, Pennsylvania. The first castings were bronze bushings for railroad bearings supplied to the Bessemer Railroad in Shenango, PA. The original building was located downtown on S. Race Street, however, Wes Hodge moved the Foundry to it’s present location at 42 Leech Rd in 1946. The Foundry has had various owners since that time and likewise has grown in size and technology over the years, being one of the pioneers in ductile iron metallurgy for heavy section castings.
Hodge Foundry produces castings for a variety of markets including mining, power generation, wind power, pumps & compressors, machine tool, paper, and cement & crushing, as well as many others. They are proud to provide five journeyman level training programs for their employees to develop the skills needed for a career at their facility. The castings they produce range from 5 – 100 ton, making them one of two foundries able to produce such large castings domestically. They employ approximately 100 individuals from the surrounding communities including skilled operators, craftworkers, engineers, NDT, Quality & Management personnel.
In 2008 Elyria Foundry, located in Elyria OH (west of Cleveland) and Hodge Foundry became sister foundries. The joining of the foundries allowed both facilities in turn to offer customers a broader range of casting sizes and technical expertise for highly engineered complex-cored castings.
Both Elyria and Hodge Foundry have been a part of their respective communities for over 100 years.