Fabricate, position, align, and fit parts of structural metal products
- Verify conformance of workpieces to specifications, using squares, rulers, and measuring tapes.
- Align and fit parts according to specifications, using jacks, turnbuckles, wedges, drift pins, pry bars, and hammers.
- Move parts into position, manually or with hoists or cranes.
- Position, align, fit, and weld parts to form complete units or subunits, following blueprints and layout specifications, and using jigs, welding torches, and hand tools.
- Study engineering drawings and blueprints to determine materials requirements and task sequences.
- Set up and operate fabricating machines, such as brakes, rolls, shears, flame cutters, grinders, and drill presses, to bend, cut, form, punch, drill, or otherwise form and assemble metal components.
- Lay out and examine metal stock or workpieces to be processed to ensure that specifications are met.
- Tack-weld fitted parts together.
- Lift or move materials and finished products, using large cranes.
- Remove high spots and cut bevels, using hand files, portable grinders, and cutting torches.