Verify and maintain records on incoming and outgoing shipments. Prepare items for shipment. Duties include assembling, addressing, stamping, and shipping merchandise or material; receiving, unpacking, verifying and recording incoming merchandise or material; and arranging for the transportation of products
- Examine shipment contents and compare with records such as manifests, invoices, or orders to verify accuracy.
- Record shipment data, such as weight, charges, space availability, damages, or discrepancies for reporting, accounting, or recordkeeping purposes.
- Prepare documents, such as work orders, bills of lading, or shipping orders, to route materials.
- Confer or correspond with establishment representatives to rectify problems, such as damages, shortages, or nonconformance to specifications.
- Pack, seal, label, or affix postage to prepare materials for shipping, using hand tools, power tools, or postage meter.
- Contact carrier representatives to make arrangements or to issue instructions for shipping and delivery of materials.
- Deliver or route materials to departments using handtruck, conveyor, or sorting bins.
- Requisition and store shipping materials and supplies to maintain inventory of stock.
- Determine shipping methods, routes, or rates for materials to be shipped.
- Compute amounts, such as space available, shipping, storage, or demurrage charges, using computer or price list.