Apply engineering theory and principles to problems of industrial layout or manufacturing production, usually under the direction of engineering staff. May perform time and motion studies on worker operations in a variety of industries for purposes such as establishing standard production rates or improving efficiency
- Design new equipment or materials or recommend revision to methods of operation, material handling, equipment layout, or other changes to increase production or improve standards.
- Test selected products at specified stages in the production process for performance characteristics or adherence to specifications.
- Compile and evaluate statistical data to determine and maintain quality and reliability of products.
- Study time, motion, methods, or speed involved in maintenance, production, or other operations to establish standard production rate or improve efficiency.
- Interpret engineering drawings, schematic diagrams, or formulas for management or engineering staff.
- Read worker logs, product processing sheets, or specification sheets to verify that records adhere to quality assurance specifications.
- Verify that equipment is being operated and maintained according to quality assurance standards by observing worker performance.
- Evaluate data and write reports to validate or indicate deviations from existing standards.
- Recommend modifications to existing quality or production standards to achieve optimum quality within limits of equipment capability.
- Aid in planning work assignments in accordance with worker performance, machine capacity, production schedules, or anticipated delays.